Dosage and Administration
Always take RISIDONE exactly as your physician has told you.
You should check with your physician or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Your physician will determine what dose is appropriate for you.
A- For the treatment of schizophrenia :
Adults : 2 mg in 1–2 divided doses on first day then 4 mg in 1–2 divided doses on second day.
Elderly: initially 0.5 mg twice daily increased to 1–2 mg twice daily.
Children and adolescent: Children and adolescent under 18 years old should not be treated with Risidone for schizophrenia.
B-For the treatment of mania:
Adults : initially 2 mg once daily, increased if necessary in steps of 1 mg daily.
Elderly:initially 0.5 mg twice daily increased in steps of 0.5 mg to 1–2 mg twice daily.
Children and adolescent: Children and adolescent under 18 years old should not be treated with Risidone for mania.
C- For the short-term treatment of continuous aggressiveness in patients with Alzheimer's dementia:
Adults and Elderly: Initially 0.25 mg twice daily, increased according to response in steps of 0.25 mg twice daily on alternate days.
Usual dose 0.5 mg twice daily.Treatment duration in patients with Alzheimer’s dementia should be not more than 6 weeks.
D- For the short-term treatment of conduct disorder in children and adolescents:
Children 5–18 years and body-weight under 50 kg:
initially 0.25 mg once daily increased according to response in steps of 0.25 mg on alternate days.
Usual dose 0.5 mg daily (up to 0.75 mg once daily has been required).
Children 5–18 years and body-weight over 50 kg:
initially 0.5 mg once daily increased according to response in steps of 0.5mg on alternate days.
Usual dose 1 mg daily (up to1.5 mg once daily has been required).
- Duration of treatment in conduct disorder should be not more than 6 weeks.
- Children under 5 years old should not be treated with RISIDONE for conduct disorder.
- In patients with kidney or liver problems, initial and subsequent doses should be halved.
Instruction for use: Risidone oral solution is supplied with 2 dosing systems to give ease and flexible dosing.
For doses up to 3 ml:
- Remove the child resistant cap and plug the pipette adaptor in the bottle opening as in figure 1.
- Insert the dosing pipette in the adaptor as in figure 2.
- Turn the bottle upside down, and withdraw the solution as per dose as in figure 3.
- Return the bottle to the upright position, remove the dosing pipette.
- Dose can be given directly from the dosing pipette, or it can be added to water, orange juice or low-fat milk.
The solution should not be added to tea nor to alcoholic beverages.
- Replace the child resistant cap, rinse the dosing pipette with water and store it in the product box.
For doses more than 3 ml: Use the measuring cup.
A- If you take more RISIDONE than you should:
Call your physician or go to the nearest hospital emergency unit immediately.
- Overdose symptoms include:
sedation, drowsiness tachycardia, hypotension, problems in standing and walking.
- Treatment: there is no specific antidote to risperidone but you should maintain a clear airway and ensure adequate oxygenation and ventilation.
Gastric lavage and administration of activated charcoal with laxative are recommended with immediate medical supervision.
B- If you forget to take RISIDONE:
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose.
Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
If you miss two or more doses, ask your physician or pharmacist.
C- If you stop taking RISIDONE ORAL SOLUTION:
Do not stop taking RISIDONE unless your physician tells you to.
If you have any further questions on the use of this product, ask your physician or pharmacist.